Thursday, April 2, 2009

Pompeiiana VIII.3, January 1982


Content: Editor Bernard Barcio is tinkering with the newsletter's format, experimenting with a tabloid layout. Articles include "Regina Elizabetha II in vada caeca trahitur", "Is Your English in Ruins? Take Latin!", "Fauns, Nymphs & Elves Invade!", "Rome's Birthday Banquet planned", "Advice for the Betrothed and Married", "Apicius's Cuisine", "When to Leap", "Omnia Mutantur" comic, "Clotho's Sewing Corner", "When to Leap", "Homeric Bard to be featured during March 5-7 Latin Weekender Conference", "Russian poet lauds Publius Vergilius Maro", "Coin adds to Shoud evidence", "Classified ads", "Gaius Mucius Scaevola" comic, "Classical Sites" cryptogram.

4 comments:

  1. In trying to find out if Frank Fowle III was still alive and reciting the Iliad (pagina tertia huius periodici) somewhere, I found this: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-7783443.html. pro dolor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, unfortunately, as a matter of fact Frank died in 1998 of an brain hemmorage. He is buried in Bishop CA. I am his niece. What is your inquiry about? You can email me at tourist51@aol.com if you want to

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank actually died in 1988 when he was robbed at knife point. He was reciting the Iliad, the Odyssey, the Declaration of Independence and other monumental writings right up until his untimely death. I am his son. He is buried in St. Louis, Missouri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank Fowle's last performance, a presentation of Plato's _Republic_, Book One, knocked the socks off the audience at Georgia Southern University. I had my students attend (I was an instructor there at the time), and the auditorium was packed. I'd never have thought Plato could be dramatically presented with such power.

    After the show, my wife and I went to the reception for Mr. Fowle, both of us having enjoyed his terrific performance, and I took down one of the small posters from a bulletin board in hope of getting him to sign it. But he was absolutely besieged by students, and we couldn't wait long, so we left. He died on his way home after the reception. That poster has been on my office bulletin board since I arrived at my current job in 1992.

    I have previously tried to find information on Mr. Fowle, wondering whether any of his performances had been filmed. One student at GSU told me that he had seen Mr. Fowle's version of the Declaration of Independence and that it was excellent. My online searches, made years ago, were probably obstructed by the fact that the GSU poster got Mr. Fowle's middle initial wrong (L instead of F).

    What a teacher he was!

    ReplyDelete